How to start a blog and make $2000/month
Are you planning on starting your own blog? Do you wish to make a good profit from your blog? Then learn how to start a blog in the simplest steps possible and start earning your passive income. Don’t depend on anyone else for your income, start being your own boss.
Firstly, gain complete knowledge of everything about a blog. Secondly, analyze the requirements to start a blog of your own. Thirdly, get to know all the benefits of starting your own blog. Fourthly, learn how to start a blog of your own. Finally, learn how to monetize your blog and start making money from it.
Before you start a blog, what exactly is a blog?
In simple terms, a blog is nothing but a type of website which contains written content or blog posts. These blog posts are generally arranged in such a way that the most recent posts appear at the top. These are then followed by the older posts. This organized manner of display of the blog posts makes it simpler for readers to search and read any posts.
You don’t necessarily have to have a blog about news, celebrities or trending technologies. A blog can be about any specific topic of your choice, ranging from marketing to blogging. Most often, a blog post consists of content written based on a personal view. It is moreover like a simplified explanation about any specific topic based on personal perspective/experience. Therefore, this usually allows you (the blogger) to connect well with your readers. It helps readers gain appropriate knowledge with regard to the topics contained in your blog posts.
In this way, you can easily interact with other individuals who share the same thoughts as you do. Additionally, the comments section of your blogs helps you learn about your readers’ insights on your posts. Furthermore, it helps you enhance your connection with them. Also, note that it is of high importance to gain the trust of your readers. This can be achieved through a direct connection with your readers.
Thus, the most important things necessary for a blog are:
- a specific niche
- relevant content
- easy and understandable content
- good connection with your readers.
The requirements to start a blog
In order to start a blog, it is not a necessity that you should be the best writer. It is also not necessary that you use a complex set of words or phrases to make your posts interesting. Honestly, the simpler words you use in your posts, the better it is. Your readers can easily understand what they are reading. The whole point of blog posts is to give a simplified understanding to your readers on the basis of your personal views and thoughts. Hence, in most cases, blogs are written in a casual and conversational manner. This generally attracts more traffic as the readers find no difficulty in interpreting the content of your posts. The more traffic you get on your blog, the better it is for you.
The most important requirement for writing an attractive blog is a passion for the topic. When you write about a particular topic that you are deeply interested in, it reflects on your content. You will tend to have a better knowledge about the topic if you have a passion for it. As a result, your content will automatically turn out to be great.
However, you can always write about more than just one topic. But ensure that you have a keen interest in it. Also, remember to write relevant content and not to go off track midway. Thus, you can be assured that your readers will be interested in reading your blog. This is very helpful for obtaining a successful blog.
Why start a blog? What are its benefits?
There are several reasons for you to start a blog. It has a number of benefits to offer. Few of these include:
- Work from home and make money – To make money from your blog, you need to put in a few hours of hard work and write impressive blog posts. The best part is you can do this from home. Blogging has a low risk and low barrier to entry to anyone willing to start a blog. Furthermore, you can continue to earn from your posts even long after it’s been written. Therefore, you can have a good amount of passive income from your blog.
- Express yourself – Are you a person who likes to share your stories and knowledge with the world? Do you like to make a significant difference to the world by sharing your perspective? Then you should definitely start a blog. It’s perfect for you! Presently, blogging is one of the most common ways of interacting with people and sharing any information.
- Gain recognition and exposure – A successful blog can help you gain recognition in the corresponding niche. It may even fetch you an opportunity to write books. Additionally, with the help of a blog, you can reach out to millions of people at a minimal cost.
- Build a community – There are a number of other individuals who share the same thoughts as you do. You get to teach these people and also learn from them. By blogging, you thus get an opportunity to interact with them.
How to start a blog – Simple steps
If you are thinking that it is a challenging task to start a blog, well, you are wrong. It is a simple process, which requires you to follow these steps:
1) Choose a niche/topic
2) Select a name for your blog
3) Choose a good blog platform
4) Choose a good blog hosting platform
5) Customize your blog
6) Write and publish your first post
7) Promote your blog
8) Monetize your blog
Just these steps and you’ll have your blog ready! Read through the following sections for a detailed explanation about each of these eight simple steps to start a blog.
STEP 1: CHOOSE A NICHE/TOPIC
Firstly, it is important for you to choose a specific niche/topic that you have a passion for. As mentioned above, having a keen interest in the topic of your content will reflect in your posts. If you want to start a blog, have a clear idea about what the focus of your blog will be. The key to attracting more traffic is to choose a trending topic.
Also, you can always write about more than just one topic. However, in order to keep it simple, starting off with one niche is better. You can write about literally anything of your choice – your hobbies/interests, real-life experiences, technology, digital marketing, or even blogging.
STEP 2: SELECT A NAME FOR YOUR BLOG
It is highly essential that you select an appropriate name for your blog. While selecting a blog name, make sure it gives a relevant description of your blog. The name of your blog should reflect the topic/topics that are spoken about in your blog posts. A descriptive blog name will help your potential readers to instantly understand what your blog is about.
Once you have chosen a blog name, choose a domain extension. The most preferred domain extension is “.com”. Other domain extensions that can be used are “.org” and “.net”. Also, note that your domain name should not have any spaces or punctuations between words. Dash (-) is an exception.
Ensure that the name that you have chosen is available. It should not be a repetition of an already registered blog name. In case the name has already been registered, try revising your blog name. You can add one or more small words such as “the”, “a” and so on; or add dashes between words. Also, you can try different domain extensions. Sometimes even though the “.com” version has already been registered, the “.org” or “.net” versions of your blog name may be available.
STEP 3: CHOOSE A GOOD BLOG PLATFORM
Once you’re done selecting a name for your blog, you need to choose the platform/software to build your blog. Among all, WordPress is the biggest blogging platforms in the world. It consists of a number of plugins and add-ons. Also, it provides you with a huge variety of designs and layouts for your blog. Till date, WordPress has more than 82 million active users.
These are some of the features of WordPress:
- Simplest to use and customizable
- Free of cost
- Makes your blog extremely fast
- Has a large number of free themes and layouts
- Makes your blog look perfect
- Your readers can easily interact with you
- Sharing and commenting on your posts by your readers is permitted
- Has a huge support forum to help clarify your doubts, if any
However, there are alternative blogging platforms to WordPress that you can use. These include:
- Blogger – second best blogging platform, after WordPress
- Tumblr – social networking and microblogging website
STEP 4: CHOOSE A GOOD BLOG HOSTING PLATFORM
In order to have a blog, it is required that you have a blog host. In general, the company which stores all the files for your blog is known as a Blog host. When the user types in your blog name, the blog host delivers the files to the user.
The most commonly used blog hosting platform is BlueHost. This is the simplest and the best blog hosting platform for all newbies. Few of the features of BlueHost which make it the best blog and web hosting platform are:
- Free registration of your blog name
- Provides one click, simple and free WordPress installation – the best blogging software
- WordPress.org recommended hosting platform from the year 2005
- At present, over 2 million blogs and websites are hosted by BlueHost
- In case you are unsatisfied with their service, a guarantee for refund is provided within a period of 30 days after you have signed up
- Each and every website that is hosted at BlueHost has a benefit of obtaining a free SSL certificate. With the help of this, you can protect your visitors with just one click.
- Provides you with an unlimited storage
- Provides you with an unlimited bandwidth
- You can host unlimited Websites (Starts from Plus package)
- Unlimited addon domains can be used (Park your domain)
- Provides you with FTP access and Shell Access
- Has a 24/7 customer service – reachable via phone as well as web chat.
You can avail special discount of $2.75 per month on purchasing BlueHost.
Steps involved in using BlueHost to start a blog and host it
The steps involved in blog hosting via BlueHost include the following:
- Go to the BlueHost server and click on “Get Started Now”.
- Select a hosting plan. BlueHost offers you four different hosting plans:
- Basic – costs $2.75/month
- Plus – costs $4.95/month
- Choice Plus – costs $5.45/month
- Pro – costs $13.95/month
Each of these packages allows you to host a different number of websites, depending on the price of the package chosen.
However, all the plans will include the following features as default:
- Resource Protection
- SSL Certificate
- Sign up for BlueHost. Type in your registered domain name in the right box and click “Next”. In case you don’t have a registered domain name, type it in the left box. Then click “Next” in order to start your registration process.
- Create your BlueHost account. You need to enter all your details for this purpose. However, you can also sign-in with your Google account to ease the process.
- Choose your hosting package. This includes information about the chosen package and the package extras.
- Create a secure password for your account. Then, select a basic design template for your blog.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your WordPress will be installed. After the installation is done, click on “Start Building” to log-in to your blog. Your blog log-in details will be sent via mail to the email id provided by you. Howsoever, these details are completely different from your BlueHost account details.
STEP 5: CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLOG
You can easily customize your blog and make it look appealing as per your will. For customizing your blog, firstly, you need to log-in to your blog. For this, go to http://www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin to enter the log-in screen. Enter your username/login name and password and click “Log In”. This takes you to the WordPress administrator page, where you can modify your blog as required.
With WordPress, it takes only a few clicks to modify the design and layout of your blog. This enables you to make the necessary changes and thus make your blog look satisfying. Here, blog layouts are called “Themes”. The design of your blog depends on the selected theme.
The menu present on the left-hand side provides you an option called “Appearance”. You can select this and change the theme of your blog. You have a choice to select from the pre-installed themes or the free themes. Once you’ve selected a theme of your choice, click on “Activate” and you’re done. However, you can even install new themes in accordance with the parameters of your choice – color, layout, and more.
In addition to changing your blog theme, you can do many more customizations. These may include:
- Header image
- Background image
- Site title and tagline
- Widgets (Search, Archives, and Meta).
WordPress allows you to do all these customizations in a very simple manner.
STEP 6: WRITE AND PUBLISH YOUR FIRST POST
Since you have finished designing your blog, you can now start writing blog posts on the chosen topic. In the menu present on the left-hand side, select the “Posts” option. This takes you to the page showing you a list of the blog posts. By default, every new WordPress blog has a “Hello World!” post – certainly not necessary. Therefore, you can delete it by clicking on the “Trash” option.
Now, click on “Add New” to start writing a new blog post.
This takes you to the post editor screen. To start with, enter the title of your blog post in the corresponding box provided. You can then start writing your blog post in the box provided below. For including an image or video, click on “Add Media” and choose the “Select Files” option. This allows you to upload any image or video from your computer. Then, click “Insert into post” to add the media to your post.
Once you’re done writing your post, check its Readability and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). It is extremely important that both these parameters are good. This is an indication of the quality of your blog post content. If either of them is not shown as good, make the required modifications. In the end, ensure your post is readable and SEO Friendly. Your post is now ready for publishing. Simply click on the “Publish” button present on the right-hand side of your screen, and it’s done.
STEP 7: PROMOTE YOUR BLOG
Creating a well-designed blog for the niche of your choice, and writing posts with good quality content is very essential. Additionally, promoting your blog is also crucial. Initially, it is very important that you get a large number of readers for your blog.
There are two main ways to promote your blog:
Sharing via Social Media
The best and easiest ways to get more traffic is to post links on your social media accounts. This may include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and WhatsApp. By doing so, all your friends and family can read your post. Also, they can share it with their friends and thus, the number of readers increases.
However, while you work on getting more new readers to your blog, you also need to ensure that your present readers come back again. This can be done by collecting their email addresses and sending them a notification every time you post new articles. This process is known as Email Marketing. It helps you maintain the traffic on your blog and helps get more readers. In addition to this, it also helps you maintain a good relationship with all your readers. Establish yourself as a trustworthy source of information in order to attract more traffic on your blog.
STEP 8: MONETIZE YOUR BLOG
For those of you, who are looking forward to making money from your blog, don’t worry. It is an easy task if you have high-quality content and good traffic on your blog. There are a number of ways by which you can monetize your blog. One of the most preferred and simplest ways to monetize your blog is by selling advertising space.
The most commonly used service for this purpose is Google AdSense. It is a free and simple way to make money from your blog by placing reviewed advertisements. The high quality and relevant ads help you gain a better profit.
However, sometimes there may be a situation wherein Google AdSense doesn’t accept your blog, or takes too long to respond or may have banned your account due to certain issues. In such cases, you can always use any of the alternatives to Google AdSense and make a profit from your passion. The seven best alternatives include:
3) Amazon Display/Native Ads
Additionally, other ways to monetize your blog may include selling your own products or services, writing product reviews and more.
However, you can’t expect to make tons of profit from your blog overnight. On average, it may take about 6 months to start earning a sufficient amount of money. It may take at least a year to make a solid part-time income and about two years for a full-time income.
After you start a blog, how to monetize your blog and start making money from it?
As mentioned in the final step of how to start a blog, you can make a profit from your blog by a number of ways. It includes:
- Affiliate Marketing – Choose a preferred company to carry out their affiliate sales. Request for the approval of your account. Once approved, you can sell various products by providing the corresponding affiliate links. As a result, you can make a profit from each product that is bought from the affiliate link you provide.
- Ad Revenue – The best way to earn revenue from your blog by advertising is via Google AdSense. You can also use any of the alternatives to Google AdSense as mentioned above. The revenue earned through advertising is dependent upon the user engagement as well as the traffic on your blog.
- Sponsored Posts – Doing sponsored posts can help you earn quite a lot of money. However, adding a disclaimer on your blog is of utmost importance while doing so. It is essential that your readers are aware of the fact that a particular post is a sponsored post. This would help avoid any misleading comments. Also, it is important that you personally approve the content of any sponsored posts.
Using any of the different methods to monetize your blog is acceptable. Neither of the strategies will give you a huge profit instantaneously. But with impressive content and good traffic, you can earn up to $2000 per month. However, to reach this stage, it requires a lot of dedication and patience.